HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Medical Technologist (MLT/MT) - Bee Cave Free Standing ED - Nights, Rotating Weekends in Austin, Texas
The St. David’s Emergency Center in Bee Cave is a full-service freestanding emergency department that does not have attached inpatient facilities. This ED serves as an extension of a St. David’s South Austin Medical Center.
The SDEC in Bee Cave operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week and is located in front of Bee Cave’s City Hall at the Hill Country Galleria.
The St. David’s Emergency Center in Bee Cave is 10,875 square feet and features 12 multipurpose exam rooms(one of which is a trauma room); a CT scanner; a diagnostic radiology machine; ultrasound, and its own stat lab for immediate, on-site results.
The center is staffed by board-certified emergency medicine physicians affiliated with St. David’s HealthCare, as well as trauma-certified nurses.
The on-site medical team is able to treat all urgent and emergent medical conditions such as heart attacks, strokes, head and spine injuries, respiratory distress, abdominal pain, dehydration, orthopedic injuries, sports injuries and lacerations that require sutures.
The St. David’s Emergency Center in Bee Cave provides the public with board-certified emergency room physicians—with experience treating trauma-related injuries and medical emergencies.
_ _ _Position Summary _
The Medical Technologist (MT) performs all phases of clinical laboratory work including those requiring the exercise of independent judgment. The laboratory work performed will be in one or more of the major disciplines, those being: chemistry, hematology, immunohematology, microbiology, serology and urinalysis. Performs activities associated with actual test performances such as quality control, quality assurance, instrument maintenance and result interpretation. Ensures the quality of all phase of work from specimen collection to result reporting and limited interpretation.
The Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) performs those laboratory tests that require a degree of skill commensurate with the education, training and technical abilities of the individual and involve limited exercise of independent judgment. The laboratory work performed will be in one or more of the major disciplines of chemistry, hematology, serology, urinalysis, microbiology, immunohematology and histology/pathology. Activities include actual test performance including quality control, quality assurance and instrument maintenance. Ensures the quality of all phases of testing that for reporting patient results.
Performs laboratory assays, testing and staining in one or more of the technical disciplines
- Handles and transports specimens as appropriate to the ordered tests
- Ensures positive identification of each patient and respective samples
- Demonstrates good knowledge of technique and theory in all areas of the laboratory, as observed by the Lab Director or technical supervisor
- Performs tests accurately and precisely according to written policies and procedures and established practices
- Learns and adapts well to new instrumentation and techniques
- Ensures that assay and test results are reported in a timely, legible and meaningful format with appropriate reference values and/or interpretive comments and delivered to the appropriate clinical practitioner/clinical area
Ensures that test selection and reference ranges are appropriate for the age of the patient
Performs duties with minimal supervision, showing appropriate independent judgment
Ensures timely availability of laboratory results
- Organizes work and work area for efficiency of performance
- Performs work with sufficient speed to allow acceptable turnaround time of results
- Demonstrates good productivity as judged by efficient use of time, and volume of testing or other duties performed
- Prioritizes work appropriate to relative importance and critical nature
- Immediately reports and documents critical values or tests
Ensures the quality of analyses through quality control, quality assurance and maintenance activity
Successfully participates in proficiency testing activities in each technical area for which the employee has responsibilities
Participates in preventive maintenance and repair of instrumentation
Participates in preparation of calibrators, reagents and other materials
Participates in training and educational activities for the laboratory * Helps train new employees or those with less experience in a technical area * Participates in providing inservice education for the laboratory and other personnel * Personally documents at least 8 contact hours of continuing education per year if more than 0 hours/week scheduled Ensures the safety of self and coworkers
- At least annually reviews all safety policies, procedures and materials to maintain current knowledge of safety issues
- Practices safe work habits according to policies and standard procedures
- Maintains a clean and organized work area
_Education and Experience_ Required: Graduate of an accredited school of Medial Technology and Bachelor's degree in medical technology, chemistry, microbiology or a closely related field. 3 years generalist hospital lab experience
Title: Medical Technologist (MLT/MT) - Bee Cave Free Standing ED - Nights, Rotating Weekends
Location: Texas-Austin-South Austin Medical Center
Requisition ID: 00196-59585